Thursday, April 03, 2008

The "C" Word

Cancer -- this little word strikes fear in my heart like no other. It seems like every week, I hear of someone else who has this terrible disease.

Cancer claimed my aunt's life this past Monday. She battled it for over ten years. She was a new grandma. It just seems so unfair.

A 29-year old acquaintance was recently diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer. She is the same age as my sister. And she had just met Mr. Right. It just seems so unfair.

My mother-in-law died of a cancerous brain tumor. She was 64 years old and she had a lot of living she still wanted to do. I often wonder what our lives would look like right now, had she not gotten sick. It just seems so unfair.

I have been following this little boy's story and praying for him for some time now. He's had leukemia since he was about 2 months old. Now, he's over a year old and things aren't looking so good at the moment. It just seems so unfair.

I hate cancer! I have been wondering this week if the way God feels about sin is somehow analogous to the way I feel about cancer. Cancer eats away at the body just as sin eats away at the soul. I'm sure God hates watching us destroy our lives and scar our souls with sin even more than we hate standing by helplessly and watching cancer ravage the bodies of our loved ones.

I have definitely gained a new perspective on the sin in my own life as I have pondered this.

1 comment:

  1. So tough. Thanks for your thoughts. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete