Friday, January 01, 2010

Nyanya's Quilts Are Special

One thing my mom has started doing for her grandkids is making each one of them a quilt. She uses the same pattern each time, but different fabrics, and she tries to have at least one of the fabric choices reflect where that child was born. One of the fabrics on Alex's quilt, for example, has fish on it, since Alex was born in Japan (where the carp is a symbol of children, especially boys). One of the fabrics on Stephen's quilt has cars, since he was born in Detroit, the capital of the American auto industry.

When the Marcums visited us in Nashville recently, Julie and I made the happy discovery that we had all five grandkids and all five quilts together under one roof! (Julie likes to travel with her girls' quilts because they are large, and at the same time light-weight; plus, it is something familiar from home to make going to sleep in a strange place easier.) Not sure when we would have a photo-op like this again, we lined all five kids up on our couch with their quilts for a picture.

I didn't share this picture before because I was waiting to surprise my mom with a framed copy of it for Christmas. Now that Christmas is over, I'll post it here for all to see!

Our Nyanya loves us!

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool... I am sure your mom loved that gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! That is one awesome Nyanya!

    ReplyDelete