Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Proud to Be an American


alexamerican, originally uploaded by rustyandlaura.

My son,

You don't know it yet, but you are a citizen of a very great nation. A nation where freedom is valued above all else. Many great men and women have fought and died throughout the years so that you could be free. Free to become whatever you want to be. Free to live where you want to live. Free to worship our God. Free to vote. Free, even, to criticize our government and to take steps to change the things you disagree with.

One day, when you are older, I hope you will come to appreciate, as I do, the blessing it is to be an American. Although I have lived most of my life in other countries (or maybe because of it), I am deeply appreciative of my heritage and citizenship. I hope to pass this appreciation on to you as you get older. You are a second generation TCK (third culture kid), but I hope you'll always be proud that your "passport country" is America.

Love,
Mama

(Picture taken outside the US Embassy in Tokyo on March 31st, 2006, the day we took Alex in for his birth certificate and passport.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Laura,
    That's just beautiful! Where you get your way with words I don't know but it is a gift from God.
    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete