Sunday, April 26, 2015

Month by Month: 4


Elizabeth was four months old on June 8th, 2014. Reading back over my 10-year journal, I am amazed at all that was going on in our lives at this time. We returned from our beach vacation just in time to welcome our first LST team of the summer. We had some other visitors, as well as a couple of big groups at the camp. Rusty had a birthday and we celebrated our 15th anniversary. All before Elizabeth turned four months old.

I guess, considering our high activity level, it is no surprise that I started having milk-supply issues around this time. The fact that Elizabeth has always been a great night-sleeper (at two weeks old, she was sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at night) certainly didn't help my supply either. After taking her in for a check-up and realizing that she was right at the 10th percentile on the growth charts, I decided to start supplementing with formula. I hated to do it, not because I have anything against formula, but just because it is SO expensive here. And I knew I was probably setting us up for an early end to breast-feeding. But it was more important to me that she grow and thrive and get the nutrition she needed, even if that meant formula. The doctor warned me that if she fell below the 5th percentile on the growth charts, she would automatically be diagnosed "failure-to-thrive" and that would mean a battery of tests and other things I knew I didn't want.

So, we started bottle-feeding. Elizabeth took to it like a champ, and her brothers were eager little helpers when it came time to give her a bottle. It was kind of nice not to be the ONLY one who could feed the baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment